Thursday, January 26, 2012

Lies I've told my daughter recently

1.  Yes you can bring your stuffies to heaven.
2.  Toys r us is all out of  that toy
3.  There are no coyotes in Rhode Island
4.  Your principal sent me a note stating you can't have a boyfriend in Kindergarten

They got me through the moment. I always try to answer what she is asking not what I think she is asking but after answering it ten different ways. I went for it, lied. I figure these are harmless lies.

I know there are coyote dens in Roger Williams Park because my dog has rolled in their #2 but the chance in the next few years that she'll find one of their dens....worth the lie in comparison to the tears.

 Lily is obsessed with death. It isn't a stage. Unless stages last a year. I am not going to get a book on how to talk to your kid about death...that cost money. Lily is almost six and at that age you should still believe that heaven is what ever you imagine. Not that I'd buy the book but no one has published a book (or blog) about what you can't and can bring to heaven. I wasn't even lying, this blog is making me feel better already

I don't believe in sugar coating things for Lily but she doesn't take "I don't know" as an answer. If I had more time we'd go to the library and look up the answers to each of her questions.  Besides using the simple lie technique I also use the distraction technique. Very useful sometimes.  For a bad distraction technique example, here is a conversation we had last weekend:
Lily "Mom how does the car move"
Me "so many things; tires, and the engine"
Lily "what about gas"
Me "yes and gas"
Lily "where is the gas from"
Me "the gas store"
Lily "where do they get it"
Me "a truck"
Lily "where does that truck get it and what is in gas that makes it move the car"
Me "oh my goodness did I tell you we are going to disney this year"
Lily "I'll just ask my teacher"
This weekend we will find time to study gas. I have no interest in it. It is going to be painful. I will no doubt be a gasologist after our research. Hopefully this all happens before she asks me how the picture she gets into the TV because I still think it is magic. 

FYI: I am not using correct grammar because I don't have to.  I know all the rules but don't want to make you feel like you are reading a college term paper.

2 comments:

  1. I knew it would come to this....as when she was new born she fought to have it her way....remember the bottles of just a few ounces we tried to get her to drink in NICU ! She did it when SHE wanted. The path was set from that moment...and we come to now.
    All I have to say is, wait. The car was a trap for Butch and I with Gretchen, SOOOOOO many questions. SO many unanswered questions. We fought to decide who would be the driver to where ever she needed to go (or wanted to ride along) when it was her alone. The movie "HOME ALONE" came out about that time. We felt the pain..."in the car with her alone" . BUT look where she is now ! I can tell you Meg and Julie were just as "questionable" as Gretchen. Just that she came along with all of her questions when we thought ...thought... we had already finished that STAGE. NOW, IT's YOUR TURN !
    GOOD LUCK !

    ReplyDelete