Monday, January 30, 2012

Philosophy 101

I have this philosophy that I use to "check my self". Look at your surroundings and see what they are telling you. I really want to pass this on to Lily because I find it a great character trait to have. Lily has my skill and love of organizing. She has already proven to be a better athlete. Now I am on the mission to teach her to check herself.

Lily has a sensory processing disorder. I don't go around with this on my shirt or put it on hers.  I let most of people we know just think she's a little quirky in her behavior. She doesn't get away with more than other kids...she's a pretty good kid.  Her attributes outshine her struggles. BUT reading her own or other peoples emotions isn't her forte. It may be something she's great at tomorrow or in five years so I will still try to teach her.

Like when you are standing at the top of the stairs and you are holding a cat and it begins to try to get out of your arms....I might think "heh this cat wants to get down...I will bend down and set it on the ground". If you are Lily you think, well I don't know how her brain works but the cat went flying down the stairs.

Another great example: she was a pleasant child tonight,excited for her birthday (which is tomorrow) until.....615 came tonight.  From 615 until 6:50 she was unglued. By unglued I mean she was unable to sit, stand, lay down, be quiet hold still or even breath correctly (seriously).

She was tired.

I really should count my blessings that this doesn't happen every night or doesn't last long.  I've have been around kids that it goes on forever. I used to babysit a kid that did this for two hours every night.

What works....hugging her. Now before the uneducated people say....don't coddle her. Some children (and adults) with SPD need to be held tight to calm down. Some of the therapy in facilities have heavy blankets that the kids wrap themselves in or one that Lily really like is being rolled up in gym mats. It doesn't take long 30 seconds to 2 minutes and she is like a different child. Apologizes and moves on. Then apologizes again at bedtime. Then apologizes again the next morning.

My goal in teaching her this philosophy is for her to read her actions and say, "heh...I'm not doing so hot so I am going to hang out in my room for a few minutes" then I will reward her for her good choice.  Wish me luck. I'm going to try it my way....not going to google how to teach this, not going to read any books...just going to wing it. I'll let you know how it works.  Going to the whole "mothers instinct a whirl.

Two things you should learn about the above post:
1. Hugging works.  We give hugs to say hello. We give hugs to say goodbye. We give hugs to say I am sorry. We give hugs to comfort. We should also give hugs to calm down a child because what is going through their head is different then what is going through ours.
2. Don't throw a cat down the stairs. Even though I am not a cat lover...I am pretty sure it isn't a good thing to do.

Tomorrow will be an exciting new post. Lily's birthday. She'll be six. I don't want to make every blog about her but tomorrow is about her. Now go hug someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment