Saturday, February 4, 2012

catch phrases

I remember being in junior high and struggling to find ways to fit the popular phrases in my vocabulary. Back then it was, "gag me with a spoon, where's the beef, I've fallen and can't get up". I know now that when I used those phrases it was obvious that I was trying to hard but I felt cool in that moment. A catch phrase needs to me spontaneous and appropriate for a multitude of situations.

Yesterday I took my daughter and her friend to get ice cream. When we got into the car they started discussing how they got this special occasion because they were BFF's. I felt the need to make they elaborate on their feelings of trust and respect for each other and that is makes them "BFF's". I didn't.

When we got to the ice cream store the waitress was struggling with the lemonade dispenser. Of course we were sitting at the counter so we had a prime view of her frustration.  My daughter looks at me and says loudly, "this is awk----ward" and rolled her eyes halfway then put her hand over her eyes like a shield and looked down. What the h-e double hockey sticks. The waitress thought it was funny. I was mortified and felt the need to have her apologize. I didn't.

My child's friend got a huge ice cream sandwich and when it was in front of her she said, "OMG, this is like totally the biggest ice cream sandwich ev-a". I felt like I was with two teenagers. I wouldn't have had an issue if they didn't use the phrases correctly or weren't so darn cute.

If a strung out drug addict madam using person like Charlie Sheen can have a catch phrase like "winning" I want one. I recently started doing high kicks at work and saying "ca-ching". But "ca-ching" is an already established catch phrase and doing high kicks in public (which I am not afraid to do) may be dangerous to those around me. I should also mention that only one person at work played along with my high kick-ca-ching, the rest rolled their eyes. So I accept the failure.

It is too easy to bring back an old saying.  I am going to start a new catch phrase within my blogs and in my everyday life and see if anyone can get it or more importantly if I can get it to "go viral". So if you read it or hear me say, pay it forward....pass it on or start your own.

1 comment: