Monday, February 20, 2012

Built in revamp

Lily's room has built in book cases that take up an entire wall. The builder of these units (I am assuming the previous owner) also put a nice uneven coat of a dark oily stain. The sides connecting to the walls were left undone (I think a measurement problem occurred) and the top piece of molding had nails hanging out of it along with an odd jagged piece hanging.

The time came to paint the unit.

As you can see with the amount of clutter on there...the prep was going to take a while. Not so bad though. I put everything on her desk and bed.
Look what treasure I found behind the heater....lovely wallpaper. I also found the most terrible smell that I cleaned and then painted with Kilz.  Jojo is getting the last bit of sun in the window time before I keep her out of the room for the day.
So as noted above the unit was painted with a dark oily stain and I am used two coats of Kilz to prime everything. The oil stain on the doors ate through three coats of Kilz and one coat of semi-gloss until I gave up. They will be sanded and I will start over on them.
For less than six dollars I was able to get two pieces of wood to finish off the sides of the unit Finished. Took the nails and and jagged edges out of the top piece of molding...much cleaner look.

Although the dolls are on top, they are played with, it is the only shelf that is tall enough for them.

Off to do some clean up of all the extra clutter that needs to be organized. By organized, I mean put in the trash can outside at the curb.  What she doesn't know won't hurt her.

Please sign up to get email alerts so you can see my future projects, what we're up to and general blipes.

New word alert (qualifies if I don't find it on dictionary.com)
Blipes: a blog that is about a specific gripe

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! Nice work, it looks great!

    www.nourishingthenest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete